SHE Likes Big Bows...

Monday, December 11, 2017




.. And I can not lie. What's up y'all! Today I'm showing you how to make a big bow for the top of your tree! I LOVE making these. I usually make a new one each year and have made a few for the tree at my office. This could be scaled down to a smaller bow if that is what you're needing.

Let's get started...

First you need your ribbon. The key here is WIRED EDGE RIBBON. If the most perfect ribbon that you've ever seen doesn't say its wired then put it down and walk away. I'm not kidding! Without the wire your bow will fall flat and be a sad sad bow... 

This year I stuck with two colors, a red and a glitter gold, but I usually do three.



For this next part it is helpful to have an extra set of arms. It isn't necessary (I did it last year alone), but I promise you it is much easier and quicker. Have your helper hold their arms out to their sides - isn't Hubs just the best helper? Don't go any wider than this - been there done that. It makes a floppy bow, even with the wire, and like we said earlier floppy = sad.

Laying the ribbons on top of each other begin wrapping around and around. This part is personal preference - you can wrap as many times as you want. As you see in the picture I wrapped somewhere between six and eight times and have a nice full bow. You can wrap all the way to the end of the ribbon if you want, I've done it before. You end up with a tighter bow because there are more loops.



Once you've wrapped till your heart is happy, you're ready for the next step. If you didn't use the whole roll cut the ribbon to where it's even with the loops. In the picture above I cut it by Hubs hand, you don't need all of that hanging off the side.

Now take it and fold in half.



There in the middle, cut a slit on each side. Not too deep or it will fall apart!





With the left over ribbon cut a strip about eight inches or so. It'll need to be long enough to tie around your loops and then to tie it to the top of your tree.

So like I just said - tie it (and knot it!) around the middle where you just cut the slits. This is the point of cutting those slits so you can tie it good and tight.



Now for the fun part! It is time to start fluffing! Start by grabbing the top loop on one side and pulling it out. Continue for each of the loops and then do the other side.



See?



Once you have all your loops pulled out work your way through the bow moving loops around and shaping it until you are happy with it!



Now you're done! Just tie to the top of your tree and start decorating!



I hope you loved this tutorial as much as I loved making the bow.

Did you make one? Send me pictures - I'd LOVE to see it!

xo Courtney


Post a Comment

Latest Instagrams

© SHE Degree. Design by FCD.