Chicken and Dumplings!

Sunday, October 4, 2015

I love fall!  I love fall food!!  To me fall food is all comfort food.   My grandmothers would make traditional southern foods.   When I make these foods....well, if I close my eyes and take a deep breath.  I can transport myself into one of their kitchens.  Tonight I made Chicken and Dumplings for my SHE DEGREE girls.  Now, I have to admit I had a hard time making Chicken and Dumplings.  There are tons of recipes and so many ways to make them.  But I like the thinner dumplings my Granny Hale made.  But I have great SHE's in my life and they have great hacks to teach me. And now I would love to teach you a traditional southern dish that any SHE can make.

It all starts with one of my favorite finds...Mary B's frozen dumplings!  In the frozen section of the grocery store in the bread section you can find these frozen dumplings.  I also pick up a rotisserie chicken.  (makes the process quicker and easier)
Chicken and Dumplings
1 pkg.  of Mary B's Dumplings
1 stick of real butter
1 can of evaporated milk
1 can of cream of chicken soup
2 boxes of Chicken Broth
1 Rotisserie chicken

Bring the Butter, milk, cream soup and broths to a full rolling boil.  While this is getting to the boil stage, cut off all the chicken from the bone and drop it in the broth mixture.  (I like to add the skin too!  It gives it great flavor)  Once it is boiling, take the dumplings one at a time and break them into three pieces. 
Dropping them into the pot.  Now this is a process.  Drop them 1 or 2 strips at a time.  then stir and repeat until you have dropped all the dumplings into the pot. 
Do this so they don't clump up and stick together.  No one wants clumpy dumplings!  Once they are all in the broth turn the heat down to about medium heat and continue to stir every few minutes.  The longer the dumplings cook the better they will be.  Cook on medium heat for about 45 minutes and then you can cook on low until you are ready to eat. 

Now, you can cook your own chicken and make your dumplings from scratch.  Personally, I don't have that kind of time.  If I did end up with all that extra time, I would probably make cookies or cake.  Oh wait!  That is exactly what I did today!!  I made chicken and dumpling and while they were cooking I made cookies! 

I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as my family and my fellow SHE's!!

Lisa B

3 comments

  1. How did you get the frozen dumplings apart? I broke so many of them

    ReplyDelete
  2. Breaking is fine. Makes them look homemade. Just seperate with a knife.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also had a terrible time separating the strips. Do you have any tips?

    ReplyDelete

Latest Instagrams

© SHE Degree. Design by FCD.