SHE Makes Glittery Pumpkins

Wednesday, October 12, 2016


I went to a local fall festival this past weekend.  They had these fabulous silver and gold pumpkins.  I just had to have them!  I love the silver and white pumpkins.  They just remind me of Cinderella and Prince Charming.  We are doing a bridal shower this weekend and needed something to go with my silver pumpkin. So, I got out the glitter and made these other pumpkins.  How many of  you have the traditional colored pumpkins at your house?  Well, I do too!  So I made a few gold and bronze colored pumpkins too.  


I haven't added flowers to them yet. Sorry!   Trying to decide where I want them and what I want them to hold.  I think I may add candy to one and put a vase inside the other to hold my silverware. Or a mason jar with fresh flowers??  I can't decide!

 Anyway,  here is how  I made these pumpkins.

First, I bought the plastic pumpkins for about $1. 


Then, I spray painted the inside and outside with a coat of silver/gray paint.  I didn't want the bright blue or orange to show on the inside.  I was thinking I would add a candle or flowers..or even fill with my silverware.  

The next step is get rid of the face on the plastic pumpkin.  I used Plaster of Paris.  (You can buy a tub of this at Michaels or Hobby Lobby). When you mix it be careful.  Read the label!  Watch out and do not ingest the dust when mixing it.  I mixed mine in a throw away styrofoam bowl and used a plastic spoon.  This stuff sets up like concrete.  


Put a little in the face indentions and spread and smooth it out.  It is like icing a cake.  Work fast because the Plaster of Paris dries fast.  Don't worry if it is not perfect.  Look at real pumpkins.  They have "spots" where they have been laying on the ground.  


Once this dries, you can paint the whole surface.  You can use chalk paint, craft paint, but I used a sample of Valspar's wall paint.  (It was the color I wanted and I had it from a previous project.  And it went on fabulously.). You can get the sample size at your local hardware store for under $5 in any color.  

Now, this is the part that would be scary to most perfectionist. Your pumpkins won't be perfect.  But as soon as you get the paint on to help with the imperfections I immediately sprinkled on Epsom Salt and glitter.  It gives it dimension and hides flaws. Plus who doesn't like glitter....  Now this needs to dry.  Once this is totally dry you need to spray a sealer on top!    Then you can add sand and candles,   or you could go with flowers.  

I had the hurricane globes from another project. I did add glitter to the top of my sand.  (I covered the candle with a cupcake liner while I sprinkled the glitter so it wouldn't get on the candle.) 

I hope you make a Glittery Pumpkin!  I would love to see how yours turns out.  I want to know what colors you use and how you finish it out...candles...or flowers...or silverware holder!  I am curious!  
Lisa B






Post a Comment

Latest Instagrams

© SHE Degree. Design by FCD.