SHE Lives in the Moment

Friday, September 16, 2016

Happy Friday!! I don’t know about you, but it’s been a long week.  Earlier this week Amy talked to us about kindness and challenged us to live by the golden rule this week. If you didn’t catch it, you can find it here.

I’m going to roll off that and challenge us to not sweat the small stuff and to love a little harder. Now I know, easier said than done. I also know that saying “don’t sweat the small stuff” is extremely cliché. But hear me out… I promise I have a point.  To start, I’m going to mention two reasons this challenge has been weighing on my mind.

First… If you follow us on Facebook, you saw our post last week about how we were quiet because we were mourning the unexpected loss of one of our dear friends. Katie Beth was my sister’s best friend. Anyone that has had a best friend knows that BFF’s quickly become apart of your family and the loss of one of them can affect the whole family, and boy did it. Katie Beth was 18 years old returning to school after visiting home for the weekend when she was involved in a crash with a tractor trailer. As is obvious from the start of this story, she didn’t make it. 18 years is far too short of a life.

Second… I was at a work conference this week and our keynote speaker was one of the surviving passengers from the Miracle on the Hudson. If you missed the story, I’ll give you a quick recap. The flight left the runway, hit a flock of birds, and having no other option, the captain landed the plane in the Hudson. It was ruled that there is a one in an eight-BILLION chance that birds would take out both engines. But they did and thanks to the captain’s calm demeanor not a single one of the 155 people on board lost their lives that day. The speaker went on to say that she knew she was dying that day and then didn’t, and now she truly lives life not sweating the small stuff.

After Katie Beth’s passing I started hugging my husband a little harder in the morning before leaving for work, and making sure that “I love you” and “be safe” came out of my mouth. I was also inspired to start living in the moment (trying to at least). After hearing the keynote speaker this week her words of “don’t sweat the small stuff” really stuck with me and so I wanted to challenge you. LIVE IN THE MOMENT and DON’T SWEAT THE SMALL STUFF.

If your children want to play or show you something – don’t follow up with talks about laundry or dishes. Those will be there tomorrow, but you don’t know about you.

If a car cuts you off on the freeway, don’t sweat it. You’ll be there two or three cars behind him and it’s fine.

Leave every conversation/moment on a good note, because what if it is your last, or their last? Do you want them remembering you based off that last conversation?

You get the idea here. I know life gets in the way and it’s hard to live by this longer than a few days, but I’m challenging you to try. You don’t know what tomorrow holds, and when your life flashes before your eyes I’m pretty sure you’d rather it be full of happiness and peace instead of what-ifs and should haves.


xo Courtney

Post a Comment

Latest Instagrams

© SHE Degree. Design by FCD.