SHE: Makes Christmas Happen

Monday, December 12, 2016



Hey Y'all,

It is certainly the Most Wonderful time of the Year! But I think it is also the busiest time of the year. 
So much to do and see in a short span of time. Hopefully you are finding it an enjoyable time too.

I am a list maker.. and this comes in handy when my days get crazy. A list keeps me on track and helps me remember what I have and what I still need.  My list consists of decorations, shopping, Christmas cards, baking & special events ( Christmas programs, parties, gift exchanges) and is always with me. It is a sense of accomplishment checking things off!

Decorations go up Thanksgiving week, Shopping - begins Black Friday of course, Christmas cards and goody baking is usually 2nd or 3rd weekend of December, and fun times are held throughout the month. 

Thanksgiving weekend is when I decorate, but I have been know to get a jump start on it to enjoy it longer.  It is done is 1 day. I can't take those boxes and storage bins scattered throughout the house.  I love the house to be all "Christmasy" and clean. 

Shopping ~ With a little one, I shopped throughout the year and made sure to get that must have toy.  It was also helpful to spread the spending love out over a few months, instead of waiting until the last few weeks.  As my family got older, my Christmas shopping plan changed. I don't have to shop for a special toy so I typically haven't worried about an item being sold out.  (or so I thought! I have encountered that this year, but hope to be successful with a replacement item.) And so much can be ordered on line ~ Amazon Prime is fab! and you know, they sell everything!  But I still make my list for any gift I need to purchase. And of course plan how these items will work in my budget. 


Baking ~ I organize my baking list with all the ingredients I will be needing and start purchasing extra spices or sugar/ flour when I am grocery shopping. Everything comes out of the pantry on baking weekend and the fun baking times begin.  I have always enjoyed holiday recipes. We have so many yummy ones; which one is your favorite? I love to share the treats with friends and family, coworkers and neighbors.

As for my Christmas cards, I admit that we do not send one to every person we know.  I mostly send them to those we don't see as often, but want them to know we are thinking of them.  And those I do while watching a Christmas movie ( or 5 ~ this weekend was The Family Stone & Christmas With the Kranks).

We always made sure to have a special Christmas activity each year. I always enjoyed driving around and looking at all the lights.  The 12 days of Christmas ( I think this was Brittney's favorite tradition).We saw the Rockettes one year in Nashville. The Nutcracker is always fun and so pretty and festive.  My favorite is the candle lit service on Christmas eve at our church.

This week starts the 12 days of Christmas. We loved this tradition!  It starts on the 13th, and each day Brittney got a small gift with a note: do a good deed, share some Christmas spirit, snuggle up and enjoy a Christmas movie....  Just a short little note and a gift. It was often a movie, a popcorn tin, Christmas pjs, hot cocoa and new mug... little items hidden each day for a special little treat leading up to Christmas morning.  It helped spread the holiday magic out a little longer and we were able to enjoy every day.  What are your favorite traditions? 


Does this sound like your December too? I think most Moms have a similar version.  The trick is to stay calm and actually take the time to enjoy the special moments with your family. One year in particular I was very busy with work and our Christmas plan was a little behind schedule. My daughter just knew Christmas was ruined. She couldn't figure out why things weren't happening just like they always had...   I told her Christmas doesn't just "happen" ~ It takes a lot of work to pull it off. And a little Christmas magic never hurts.

Have a great week friends!      
xoxo,
                                                       Amy






Post a Comment

Latest Instagrams

© SHE Degree. Design by FCD.