Southern Pecan Pie

Monday, November 16, 2015




          

Hey friends ~   

We will be celebrating Thanksgiving next week! Can you believe it?  I feel old, but it really does seem like it was just here.  But you know, every day should be like Thanksgiving, there is so much to be Thankful for. 


This week on the blog, we will be sharing some of our favorite recipes we have for Thanksgiving dinner.  My recipe is for a delish Southern Pecan Pie.  Can you guess where my recipe came from??  One of my favorite cookbooks ~ it is a cookbook with recipes from a local church.  And it has the best dishes.  Of all my cookbooks, recipe collections from churches seem to be some of my favorites.  I have had this one since 1988 and I promise you I use it all year.

   


 The recipe is really quite easy ~ 

1 Pet Ritz pie shell crust- deep dish     
             1 tsp. vanilla   
3 eggs  
1 c. sugar
¼ c. melted butter        
½ c. Karo syrup (white corn syrup)
1 c. pecans
Set oven to 325 degrees.  Beat eggs slightly with a whisk in a 2 qt. bowl.  Stir in sugar, syrup, vanilla and butter until all is mixed together. It looks so yummy!  



 Stir in your cup of pecans. Now pour the batter into an unbaked deep dish pie shell.  Put the pie on a baking sheet and place in the oven.  Just in case in bubbles over, your oven won't be quite so messy.  Bake the pie for 1 hour or until it looks “firm”.  I start checking it at about 40 minutes.  I have found in my oven 1 hour is too long.   The middle will look soft/ jiggly but it will be gel as it cools.           
You can use a toothpick to check also. Do you know that trick?  If you stick a toothpick into the center of a cake or brownies and it comes out “clean” (meaning no batter is stuck on it), then the dessert is baked.   I learned to not overcook it and it seems to be better every year.

  
 
Take the pie out of oven and allow it to cool completely before cutting.  It is a very pretty dessert that is actually pretty easy to make.  What do you think?  Mine bubbled up a little, but that doesn't affect the taste.  Let me know if you try this one for your holiday get togethers.









Amy 




Post a Comment

Latest Instagrams

© SHE Degree. Design by FCD.