SHE : Cooks (part 2)

Monday, January 23, 2017

Hey Y'all,

Ok, so you might remember that last week I shared some tips for freezer meal prep and how great I thought it would be to make up a few for weeknight dinners. My hope was that if I had a few quick dinners ready to make, we would be more likely to eat better.  Sounds reasonable doesn't it?

As I began planning, I ran into a few snags, but nothing too bad. One obstacle is that my hubby doesn't like chicken. It is my favorite (and clearly a hit with all the freezer meal recipes), but not him. And we are both pretty picky eaters. So you can see my struggle. 

But I was determined! So I kept searching and found a few I thought would work for us. Since there are 2 of us I needed to make some smaller portioned recipes.  

I made my grocery list and brought all my pretty fresh veggies and jumbo packets of meat home.
Here is what I got: hamburger meat, chicken tenders, pork loin roast and cube steak, fresh
veggies and some seasonings. 
I had my veggies washed, peeled and chopped. Aren't they pretty? 

Then, I was ready to get started with the assembly and realized I missed a few ingredients (thought they were in my pantry, but they weren't). That meant 2 recipes I had to skip so I decided
to tweak my plans.

I used my ground beef for 8 hamburger patties (my hubby could truly eat one every day). Wrapped
them in wax paper and placed in a gallon Ziploc bag.  I browned the remaining ground beef and have
it in quart Ziploc bags to use for Taco Chili, Spaghetti or tacos. 

I boiled my chicken tenders in chicken broth and made a batch of my Chicken Salad.  I chopped the remaining chicken to use in a chicken and rice dish.
                                                                                                                                                                               
 Pork roasts are large... they do not fit in a gallon size bag. So we had a yummy pork roast yesterday, cooked it overnight in the crockpot with apples, cinnamon and honey.
Not a complete fail though, I shredded the remainder of the roast and coated it with 1
cup of bar-b-que sauce and tossed into the freezer for another meal.

We really like roasted veggies. So I decided to package the veggies in a big bag and we can
pour out what we need, toss with a balsamic vinegar and some course salt and roast.  I made a separate bag with only carrots and potatoes to use with a roast.

Although these aren't exactly freezer meals I guess it was more of a meal prep session.  But anytime you can take some of the work out of making dinner, it's a win in my book. I will be
sharing how they turn out as I use them.  What about you? Do you meal prep or make freezer meals?  Would love for you to share your tips!

 Xoxo,

Amy












Post a Comment

Latest Instagrams

© SHE Degree. Design by FCD.