SHE Has A Tree Fall!

Friday, January 27, 2017

Happy FriYAY!  I hope everyone has had a great week! 

I'm not gonna lie, mine started out ROUGH (which is what inspired this post). We had a great weekend hanging out with our friends and playing games. Then all day on Sunday hubs and I sat on the couch binge watching a new show (any Outlander fans out there?). 

Sunday night a storm blew through town, lots of rain and heavy winds. Around 10:30 that night, the massive tree in our front yard came crashing down. I'm not going to lie, it was absolutely terrifying. Hearing the cracking and the fall, the power going out, followed by hubs yelling "oh my God..... the tree fell" not knowing what you were going to come out of the bedroom to find. That is something I never want to go through again. 

Thankfully we are lucky and #blessed. The tree missed the house, the neighbors house, and everything else important. We lost power for an hour, cable and internet for a couple of days, and half a gutter. If the tree had fallen any other way it could have taken our entire house out.



But the point of this post is to talk about a little bit of safety if something like this should ever happen to you.

I'm sure you can figure out the basics of who to call - the power company, the city of there is a mess in the road, the cable company, etc. 

When our tree fell it ripped our power line from the house and it was hanging in the road. This is what I want to talk about. Did you know that just because a power line is hanging, or even laying on the ground, that it isn't necessarily dead?

I've worked in the electric utility industry for almost six years now. I've heard far too many stories of people dying from power lines.

If a tree falls, it a car wrecks, or anything else that causes a power line to fall - STAY AWAY!! Do not touch it. Do not walk close to it. Do not get in (or out) of your car if it is touching your car. If there are water puddles be careful where you're stepping. 

Our line turned out to be dead. The only reason I know this is because our neighbor picked it up before I got outside to tell him no. 

Be smart people. Call your power company and let the lineman take care of it. They are trained and have the proper safety equipment to handle live or dead lines. 

If you are unsure of what the safest move it, ask the power company while you're on the phone with them. They can help you know if you should move or stay put. 

I hope you never have a tree fall near your house!! 

Has anything like this ever happened to you? Tell me about it!

xo Courtney 

Post a Comment

Latest Instagrams

© SHE Degree. Design by FCD.