SHE Needs Sunscreen

Wednesday, June 1, 2016








It is summer!  We love to go to the beach, the lake or the pool.  There are hikes and summer camps and most everything we do is outside!  Today I want to talk about proper application of sunscreen.  It doesn't matter to me what kind you use...store bought or homemade.  Just use it and use it correctly.  Here are a few things to keep in mind:
  • Check the expiration date! If it has expired just throw it out.
  • Shake it up and make sure it is well mixed.
  • Apply at least 30 minutes before you go out.  This means if you are putting sunscreen on at the pool, it is too late.  On days we are going to the beach as soon as the kids wake up I put sunscreen on them.  Then feed them breakfast and then go to the beach.  The longer it has to soak in the better it works!
  • When it is time to eat lunch it is time to reapply.  I make mine reapply before we eat. Again it gives the sunscreen time to soak in and work.
  • Don't put sunscreen on little ones foreheads if it won't have time to dry.  They always get it in their eyes and no one is happy! 
  • Don't put it on your forehead if you are exercising.  I would suggest a hat.
  • Buy zinc oxide!  It comes in clear and colors.  A great product for the under eye area that tends to get burnt. 
  • Don't forget lip balm that has sunscreen in it. 
We have been blessed to have only had a few sunscreen mishaps following these "rules".  However, we learned the hard way about expired sunscreen!  So, what do you do if you happen to get a sunburn?  Most people will say get Aloe or lanicane lotions.  Those are nice and they do provide relief.  However, I am going to give you the best kept secret.  If you happen to get a sunburn (or even a burn in the kitchen) the best product to use is Prep H.
 
 
Yes, you heard me correctly.  Prep H.  I mean we have all heard the commercials...it helps shrink swelling of inflamed tissue.  Should you look in my beach bag you will find sunscreen, lip balm, zinc oxide and Prep H.  (I also keep some in my kitchen, cause burns happen there too!) 
 
I hope you never need it because you use your sunscreen properly.....but get you some Prep H for the summer!!


Lisa B

Post a Comment

Latest Instagrams

© SHE Degree. Design by FCD.