Importance of Friends (and a "look inside")

Thursday, August 4, 2016


The ladies that make up SHE Degree are incredibly special to me (like seriously don’t know what I’d do without them) and I believe that everyone needs to have one or more friends that fill their heart like these ladies do mine. The world we live in today is full of so much hate, so hug your loved ones and remind them that you care and that you’re thankful they are part of your life. Thank them for helping shield some of the hate, because we all need a break sometimes and you can’t do it alone. I've been blessed with a lot of really good friends. I'm still friends with a handful of people from college, and a couple of years ago one of Hubs' friends invited him to join a kickball team. That group unexpectedly became my family and I love them all dearly. But today I'm talking about my SHE ladies.


L-R: Courtney, Madison, Lisa, Brittney, Amy


To start – let me break down my relationship with the SHEs. There is Courtney (that’s me!), Madison (my sister), Lisa (my Mom) , Brittney (my best friend, we met in our sorority in college but also discovered we went to summer camp as kids), and Amy (Brittney’s mom who I’m so thankful for. Not only did she bring my best friend into the world, but she’s one of my new favorite people thanks to SHE Degree).  Riley is also a SHE. She isn’t active with us right now (she has a LOT going on), but will always be one of us (she was my college roommate and I took her in as my baby since her family lived in Memphis).

Brittney and I hit it off freshman year of college and have been besties since. She’s one of those friends that you just know you’ll be best friends with in the old folk’s home. We text daily and when we can’t its torture. I know I can tell Brittney anything and she’ll never judge me or tell anyone. That’s a good friend to have in your pocket! We've been through summer camps (apparently), college, engagements, weddings, and who knows what's next!

One of our very first pictures together!

This summer!


Now for a look into our meeting nights. We usually arrive within a few minutes of each other and as the front door opens, we all peak our head around the corner to see who has just arrived. The conversation we’re in the middle of stops while we say hello and hug. If my brother is there he greets us as the SHE’s, “Hello SHE Brittney” or “Hi SHE Amy”. It’s cute! Then once we’re all there, being the entrepreneur that he is, he usually has a proposition for us. It’s usually him reminding us that he took a few group shots for us when we were getting started and we need to pay him for it.

Of course next on the list is dinner time, SHEs love to eat! Last night as we ate chicken and waffles, we talked about how this wasn’t on our diet, but continued to eat it anyway!

The next two hours are filled with a very scattered meeting! Have you ever heard that women’s brains are like a bowl of spaghetti noodles (we’re all over the place and how we got from point A to point B doesn’t make sense)? Totally true with this group! We’ll start with one topic, but then something that was said will remind us of a story so we’ll get off topic. Then someone else will bring us back to work but with a different topic than where we left off. Then about 45 minutes later someone goes “wait... we never finished the details of xyz” and the cycle starts all over again.

All work and no play is not our motto! Growing up my Mom always said “if you can make it here, you can make it anywhere” and that holds true at SHE meetings too. If your voice squeaks midsentence? We’re gonna laugh at you. Pronounce a word wrong? We’re gonna laugh at you (looking at you Mom… tortilla is tortiYA not tortiLLYA). But everyone knows it’s all in good fun!

The love and friendship doesn’t stop there though. It continues day and night through our group texts. We aren’t just coworkers, we are family. We are each aware of what the other is dealing with and check in often. Yes, if you opened our group text you would find a lot of business related chat. You would also find things like “did you make it home safely from xyz trip?” “tell Christian good luck in his tournament” “happy anniversary” “happy birthday” and the list goes on.

I hope this little look inside shows you a couple of things. First, we aren’t just a business. We are a couple of ladies wanting to help you while we have fun doing it. Second, I hope that while reading this, you subconsciously were thinking of your own friend(s) that you have the same bond with. Friends are important. I know that no matter what I’m dealing with, 10 minutes into my time with the SHEs and it’s all melted away. I hope that you have friends as special as I do. Like I mentioned back at the beginning, my personal belief is that friends are one of the most important things you need in this life, like top five for sure!

Thanks for sticking around and reading this! I was really feeling strongly about my friends today! 

While I have your attention… have you taken our reader survey yet? It’s only five questions and will help us better tailor our work for you! You can take it by clicking here.

Also open for your enjoyment is our upcoming Planner Class and the Everything SHE Needs Christmas Market.  Be sure to check them both out.

xo Courtney


Post a Comment

Latest Instagrams

© SHE Degree. Design by FCD.