SHE: Can Clean

Monday, August 8, 2016

Hey Y’all,


How do you do… well, everything? A lot of our learning starts at a young age. You begin learning to do things to make yourself independent. As you get older your responsibilities increase and you are able to learn to do more things. And then one day you hit the “magically number” and you are expected to know how to do everything. That didn’t happen for me, did it for you?

There were so (SO!!) many things I did not know how to do when Mike and I married. Cooking, cleaning, laundry, paying bills… Now don’t get me wrong, I knew some basics. I had cleaned my room at home and helped with cleaning the house and even ironed clothes. But with cleaning, I realized quickly that I didn’t know how to really do it all. I have found it is best to start at the top and work my way down in each room. This isn’t what I always do, I tend to get a little distracted, often increasing my work load by dragging out things I had no need to drag out.

Here are a few tips I found that I hope will help you or maybe your student heading off to college (hugs to you! I know that will be hard).

You generally straighten, clean and deep clean.  How do you keep up with what needs to be done? There are lots of cleaning schedules. I like the idea of a schedule (you aren't surprised are you?). You don’t get overwhelmed by doing a little each day. I like that and I thought this one looked easy to follow. 
image via google

If you want some basic cleaning instructions, check here.  It is geared towards dorms, but would work for any home.

Some very basic tips:
  • Straighten daily: Put everything away; if it doesn’t have a place~ it needs a new home. Make beds; clean the kitchen, wipe down counters, dishes washed and put away (I do not enjoy putting dishes away). Wipe down bathroom, spraying down the shower daily helps keep it clean (just be sure to rinse before jumping in the next time). Laundry, for most of us it’s done every day but if not, be sure to have a designated area for laundry (be sure to keep clothes and towels separated)
  • Clean: start at the top, check for cobwebs, clean ceiling fans, light fixtures before you start on your floors. Light fixtures sparkle when cleaned in an ammonia solution. Dust your furniture. Sweep, vacuum, and mop your floors. Bathrooms: clean tub, shower, toilet, sink, wipe down counters, mirrors.
  • Deep Clean: windows, blinds, wipe out refrigerator, oven, carpeting For how to specifics, check here. Taking pride in your home is a lovely characteristic and a clean home is welcoming and healthy for your family and friends.

A couple of quick very random tips:
  • A Swiffer on the end of a broom works great at removing cobwebs.
  • Rain X windshield cleaner works great on mirrors in the bathroom. Keeps them from fogging from steam.
  • When cleaning glass vases or light fixtures soak them in the kitchen sink in a solution of 1 c. ammonia to a sink full of warm water. Be sure to place a towel on the bottom of the sink to prevent breaking the globes.
  • Mom's start letting your little ones help early.  Having expectations at a young age teaches accountability and responsibility.  They are so eager and by starting early, it is just one more thing they learn to do for themselves.
Happy cleaning!!


  Xoxo, Amy












Post a Comment

Latest Instagrams

© SHE Degree. Design by FCD.