Milky Way Cake

Sunday, October 11, 2015



Hey Y'all! Growing up in the south it's customary to keep sweet tea in your fridge and a dessert ready to share in your kitchen. Being the southern lady that I am, I try my best to keep both on hand!

Recently at a work birthday party, The cake was brought in. It was like no other chocolate cake I had ever had. It was not weighed down with icing or dry like some chocolate cakes can be, but the most scrumptious dessert I've had...this month.

There are all sorts of names for this cake floating around Google and Pinterest, but my co-workers referred to this cake as the Heath Bar Cake. I immediately went home to get the recipe and made it the following weekend. It was just as tasty the second time as it was the first, but I made one small adjustment. Instead of using Heath Bars (where the cake gets it's name), I chose to use a Milky Way candy bar. The only reason being I couldn't find any Heath bars at my local Publix. So, no fear, any candy bar can be used and I'm sure it will be just as delicious. I hope you enjoy it as much as we did!

The recipe is super simple and only requires a few ingredients:


First things first, pre-heat your oven to 325-350 degrees. I used a glass baking dish and set my oven to 325 degrees and it turned out perfect on the bottom - but ovens do differ. Also, place a container of frozen cool whip in your refrigerator to thaw.

Now, make and bake a German Chocolate cake mix as directed for a 9x13 inch cake. My specific cake mix called for 3 eggs, 1 1/4 cup of water, and 1/2 cup of oil.


Mix on medium speed for 2 minutes.



Once mixed, pour into a greased baking dish and place in your pre-heated oven and bake as directed!

While you wait an excruciating 30 minutes for your cake to bake, make sure to clean your bowl and beaters thoroughly...


Don't worry - the finished cake is way better than the batter!

Once it's finished, take your cake out of the oven and immediately poke holes in your cake with the end of a spoon, knife, or whatever you have on hand.


So now your perfectly, pretty cake will look like it's been destroyed. But don't fret, it will only taste better in the end.


Once you have your holes, mix together one can of sweetened condensed milk and a can of ice cream caramel topping in a small bowl.


Now, pour the sweet mixture over your cake. YUM!


At this point, allow your cake to cool and absorb all of the caramel deliciousness. I let my cake sit uncovered for an hour to two hours before frosting.

During that time, take one regular size Milky Way candy bar and cut into tiny pieces. This will be the topping for the cake - and how the cake gets it's name.



Frost your cake and then top with the candy. Simple and delicious as that!



Make sure to store in the refrigerator until ready for serving!

Enjoy!

Recipe:

1 German Chocolate Cake Box Mix
3 Eggs
1/2 Cup of Oil
1 1/4 Cup of Water
1 Can Sweetened Condensed Milk
1 Jar Ice Cream Caramel
1 Container of Cool Whip
1 Milky Way Candy Bar

xo ~ Brittney


Post a Comment

Latest Instagrams

© SHE Degree. Design by FCD.