Oh no ! I don't have any ......

Monday, October 26, 2015




Whether you have a dorm, apartment or home- you probably have a kitchen.  Yay!! That is a great thing.  Hopefully you also have a good cookbook. I know most of you younger ladies probably would rather use "Pinterest" or "Google" to find a recipe and there are excellent recipes to be found on them both.  But I love books... especially old cookbooks.   


Some people like to "cook" and others like to "bake" (& yes I know some like to do neither).  But did you know there was a difference?  When you "cook" you can follow the recipe to the tee or be as creative as you want to be - add a little of this and a lot of that and none of those.... and it should still be delish.  
 
When you "bake" the same is not necessarily true.  Baking is precise, exact measurements, exact baking temperatures and virtually no cheating.  (Lisa will be sharing on the blog about how you get those exact measurements of the ingredients coming up soon).

You must also follow the recipe..... This is where I struggle. I am not the best at reading the whole recipe before getting started.  I tend to try to get a head of myself and that dear friends, is not always a good thing when you are baking.  This could mean I read "milk" when it actually calls for "buttermilk" (really - who keeps that on hand every week?)  I have found myself with the mixing bowl going and pouring in my ingredients and then I realize what I have done.  






What to do now?  Most any cookbook you find will have "substitutions" listed in the back of them.  Check here for a list I have used often:   Betty Crocker Emergency Substitutions. 

There are also other types of substitutions I use when baking. I think they give your dish a little more homemade flavor without any extra time.  Working full time I don't always have the time to bake from scratch. I like to doctor up a prepackaged brownie or cake mix.  Simple tweaks but they make a big difference. I love to stir in chocolate chips (and nuts if I am not sharing with Brittney) and frost with a can of packaged frosting (Although homemade is super easy... will share that another day). Makes it a little more special.

If a recipe calls for water I use milk.  Whole milk is best but I keep cans of evaporated milk on hand. A small can is almost the exact amount needed in most mixes.  It is relatively inexpensive and has a much longer shelf life then real milk.  I use it in mac and cheese, mashed potatoes and soups for a creamy flavor.  

When you decide to cook or bake, I would recommend you read your recipe, gather all of your ingredients and have them measured and ready for use before you get started.  You will find the helps you avoid the “oh no” situation.  But if you are like me and maybe you can get a little distracted ~ don't worry Betty Crocker will be there to save the day.


I know there are lots of healthy ingredient substitutions too.  Applesauce for oil, yogurt for sour cream.. What have you tried?  How did your family like the taste?  Hope you will share your success stories with us too!!    
                                                                                                                        Amy









Post a Comment

Latest Instagrams

© SHE Degree. Design by FCD.