DIY Burlap Garland

Tuesday, November 10, 2015



Hey Y’all! With the holidays quickly approaching I was looking for ways to decorate our home in the most cost efficient way as possible. Target and Hobby Lobby are my go-to stores for everything holiday home décor, but as I was browsing the aisles I thought I could DIY some of the items. My first attempt this season was burlap garland. I had seen versions of it in stores, but I wasn’t overly impressed with it, so I thought my amateur crafting skills could be put to work!

I was planning on using the garland on a mantle in our mudroom. (For reference, the mantle I used the burlap on was 5 feet wide, and there was just enough material to cover it.) All I needed were two rolls of burlap 4-6 inches wide (15 yards each) and some neutral colored string.


To start, take a small amount of string and tie it to a needle or safety pin. Then take one end of each of your rolls of burlap and sew together so you have one really long piece of burlap.



   


Now, take 4 feet of string and tie it to your safety pin or needle. Choose an end to begin with and sew a knot at the bottom.


Now, weave your string in and out in a zigzag pattern up and down the burlap.




This pattern creates the gathered bunches once the string is tightened. About every 2 feet, tighten your string to make sure you like the look of the bunch.  The farther apart you space your string, the larger the bunch.


Continue with this method until you have reached the end of your burlap. Tie a knot in the end of the string and fluff your bunches as needed.





I hope you enjoy!

xo ~ Brittney

Post a Comment

Latest Instagrams

© SHE Degree. Design by FCD.