SHE Travels: Charleston

Wednesday, November 18, 2015

*The old houses are one of my favorite parts!

I know all of us SHEs love to travel. If I ever won the lottery I would buy a camper and a private jet and spend every weekend in a new destination. I love the adventure, I love the new food, the new shops and the new history. I have a list of favorite places I've visited and Charleston is in the top 5. Right behind NYC, Vegas and California. Each Destination has it own perks.. Vegas is perfect for celebrations, California has a variety of everything, NYC is the ultimate place for an adventure and Charleston is relaxing, southern and romantic.

Today I want to share my five hidden gems of Charleston, South Carolina.

*The view from our room 

Hidden Gem #1: Staying away from the hustle and bustle. Babe and I often head to Charleston with our two fur balls for a relaxing weekend. We LOVE, LOVE, LOVE to stay at Tides Hotel. It is dog friendly, like you can take your dogs anywhere in the hotel! We usually have dinner on the back patio (aka on the beach) with the pups. The food is awesome, the service is amazing and the rooms are clean & spacious. The rate is usually higher during peak times (think late Spring and Summer) so we like to go in February-March and it's cheap and not as crowded. Plus waking up to this view is everything. 

*Image from our 4th of July Trip 

2. Hidden Gem #2: The Notebook. If you're a woman, there is a 99% chance you've seen the Notebook. If so this probably looks familiar.. it's the house where Allie grew up! If you're not a fan of the Notebook it's still really cool to visit. You can tour the inside, the slaves' quarters and see the most gorgeous lake. Ryan Reynolds & Blake Lively got married here also. The boys loved this stop too!

*Image via Pinterest

Hidden Gem #3: Hominy Grill. I never really considered it but I guess RJ & I are 'foodies'. We love to eat at local places when we travel and try dishes native to the city. Whenever I'm in Charleston I want two things: seafood and southern. Hominy Grill is your best stop for southern. I'm not actually a breakfast eater but I will never pass up breakfast here. IT'S SO GOOD. There is a wait every time we go but worth it and there's an outside bar with specialty cocktails perfect to make your wait fly by. The 'Big Nasty' is their signature: Chicken biscuit smothered in cheese and pepper sausage gravy. 

*Image via Pinterest

Hidden Gem #4: Horse Carriage. RJ laughed at me when I said 'we HAAAAVE to do that!!!' but *as always* I was right! It's the best way to see all of the gorgeousness that Charleston has to offer without walking 5 million miles and you learn so much! You see historic houses, churches and jails, you go by the water and see places you want to go back and visit later. It's awesome! 

*Image via Pinterest

Hidden Gem #5: The Market. This may not be a hidden gem, it's in the middle of downtown! I remember going to the market when I was a little girl with my mom and grandma and I still love it just as much. It's a mix of local foods, handmade items, clothing and knick knacks. It's a few blocks long and so fun to see all the unique items. We go every time we are in Charleston. 

*Photo from our 4th of July Trip!


Have you been to Charleston before? What's your favorite part! RJ said he loves how relaxing it is, I love how beautiful it is. You really can't go wrong no matter how you spend your vacation there! 

Xo,
Riley 



Post a Comment

Latest Instagrams

© SHE Degree. Design by FCD.