SHE: Freshens Dingy Towels

Tuesday, March 1, 2016


Hey Ya'll! I love the look of white linens, they're clean and classic, and I probably will always love them. However, when I registered for all white towels when Andrew and I got married, everyone warned me they would be hard to keep clean. At the time, I took their advice to heart, but I knew I wanted white, and white was what we got! This week we had a laundry snafu and everyone's advice to stay away from white came back to haunt me - our pretty, white towels turned a blueish, gray. So not ideal. After making sure nothing was mixed in the laundry by accident, we came to the conclusion that the new t-shirts we had washed right before left their color in the washer. Is that even possible? We will never know, but it's what I'm going with!

I was hesitant to use bleach, because I didn't want them to damage the towels or turn them a shade of yellow. So I did a little Pinterest research. I saw so many posts about using hot water, vinegar, and baking soda. These two products are basically the holy grail of cleaning products.

On Thursday night we tried it. Start with really hot water. If you have a sink in your laundry room turn it on before starting your washing machine. That way the hot water is flowing as soon as you turn on your washing machine. Also, it's important that the washer is filled with water. I know some high efficiency washing machines only use as much water as needed, but in this situation you want lots of water. Once your washer is full of hot water and towels, add one cup of white vinegar - no detergent! Let the towels wash as normal. Once they finish you will wash your towels on hot water again but instead of vinegar, add a 1/2 cup of baking soda, and, again, no detergent. After the second wash they should be looking much better, ours certainly did! I also noticed they were much fluffier and softer when they came out of the dryer. Our dirty looking towels looked fresh and white again!

If you ever find a time when you have dingy towels, I hope this post helps you - just remember to not add detergent!

First Wash
Hot Water
1 cup White Vinegar

Second Wash
Hot Water
1/2 cup Baking Soda

xo ~ Brittney


Post a Comment

Latest Instagrams

© SHE Degree. Design by FCD.