SHE Crafts: DIY Easter Topiary

Tuesday, March 15, 2016


Hey Ya'll! Easter is almost here, so it's time to decorate! Today I want to share with you a DIY Easter topiary. It's so cute and super easy to make. With one quick trip to Hobby Lobby and Target (for jelly beans only!) you should be ready to get started.


I started by taking a wooden dowel and putting it in the center of my styrofoam ball. It should look like a giant lollypop.



Next, I wrapped white ribbon around the dowel, but you could also paint it if you prefer. I used my hot glue gun and glued the first end of string at the top of the the dowel right beneath the styrofoam ball and then wrapped until I got about an inch from the bottom of the dowel. I then glued the end of the string with hot glue to the wood.

At this point I wanted to let the ribbon set before I started making the actual topiary, so I painted the clay pot white. You can do this whenever, but doing it earlier allows it time to dry completely before you need it.



Now I was ready to glue the jelly beans to the styrofoam. I placed my styrofoam on a paper plate and held the dowel at the top and began hot gluing jelly beans from the bottom and worked my way up.



Sitting it on the plate allows you to turn the topiary like a lazy-Susan and makes it easier to work with! About halfway through the process I stuck the end of the dowel into some floral foam, and stuck it in the pot. I still sat it on the plate for "spinning" purposes but it made it easier to work on the top section.


I added some green Easter straw to cover the foam, and kept gluing!

I tried my best to alternate between colors so there isn't a section of mostly blue, green, etc. But feel free to decorate however you prefer! I opted for the pastel jelly beans but you could definitely use the brighter colors. It's all up to you!


Once every part of the styrofoam ball was covered, I let it dry for an hour to set and moved it to my kitchen table.

Materials
1 Styrofoam Ball
1 Wooden Dowel
Ribbon (Optional)
Hot Glue Gun
1 Clay Pot
Paint & Sponge Paint Brush
Jelly Beans (2 Bags for Medium Ball)
Floral Foam
Easter Grass

It was super easy and looks so cute! I hope you give it a try!

xo ~ Brittney



Post a Comment

Latest Instagrams

© SHE Degree. Design by FCD.